FILMS IN PROGRESS 42
TOULOUSE - 30th and 31st of MARCH 2023
Applications now open
Films in Progress 42 will take place the 30th and 31st of March 2023, as part of the professional platform of Cinélatino, Rencontres de Toulouse. It is a pioneering support system for Latin American films in post-production.
Given a highly changing filmmaking environment, Films in Progress offers to contribute to the completion of the selected films with pragmatism and efficiency, and exposes these films to an international visibility among the professional community to facilitate their circulation and distribution. Films in Progress propels the meeting and cooperation between the directors and producers of the selected projects and accredited professionals to enable the films to reach screens and audiences.
Films in Progress, more than ever, claims the solidarity values and the founding challenges of this unmissable meeting with Latin American films and upcoming talent-bearers of new perspectives.
The committee of Toulouse will select the six films that will be presented.
Since the beginning in 2002, in 41 sessions, 232 films have been presented to an audience of dedicated and faithful professionals. More than half of them have been selected in various sections of prestigious international festivals such as Cannes (29 films), Berlin, Venice, San Sebastián, Sundance, Locarno, Rotterdam...
In 2022, despite the adverse conditions:
- Utama, by Alejandro Loayza Grisi (Bolivia, Uruguay), after being awarded the Grand Jury Prize in the World Cinema Dramatic competition at Sundance, has already won around twenty awards in the festivals where it was selected.
- 1976, by Manuela Martelli (Chili, Argentine), was presented at the Directors’ Fortnight in Cannes.
- La Jauría, by Andrés Ramírez Pulido (Colombie, France), was selected at La Semaine de la Critique in Cannes and won the Grand Prize.
- Home is Somewhere Else, by Carlos Hagerman and Jorge Villalobos (Mexico, USA), was competing in Annecy in the Feature Films Contrechamp section.
- Karnawal, by Juan Pablo Félix (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Mexico, Norway), after being in competition in Tallinn in 2020, won the Best Ibero-American Film Award and Best Supporting Actor Award in Málaga for Alfredo Castro and the Best Film Award at the Santiago de Chile Film Festival (SANFIC). In 2022, the film won two Platino Awards for Iberoamerican Cinema, for Best First Work and Best Supporting Actor.
Many of the talented Latin American filmmakers have been discovered with their first films and supported by Films in Progress: Pablo Larraín, Jayro Bustamente, Ciro Guerra, Emiliano Torres, Pepa San Martín, Christopher Murray, Juan Sebastián Mesa, Lorenzo Vigas, Mariana Rondón, Alejandro Fernández Almendras, Sebastián Lelio, Juan Andrés Arango, Amat Escalante, Benjamín Ávila, William Vega, Marcela Said, Niles Attalah, Nicolas Pereda, Ana Katz, Celina Murga, Federico Veiroj, Diego Lerman, Kyzza Terrazas, Marialy Rivas, Manuel Nieto, Benjamín Naishtat, Cristián Jimenez, Pablo Agüero, Rubén Mendoza, Sofia Quirós, Jorge Riquelme, Theo Court, Beatriz Seigner, Paz Fabrega, among others.
By bringing together film professionals capable of contributing to those films’ post-production, Toulouse promotes cultural diversity in a spirit of solidarity and cooperation.
- The Films in Progress Toulouse Award consists of post-production services to be provided in France by prestigious partner organisations: a residence in Paris by Activités Sociales de l'énergie, post-production coordination by Eaux Vives Productions, image post-production services by French Kiss Studio (member APIFA Occitanie), sound work by Studio A Fabrica, and technical work from TitraFilm.
- The Special Ciné + In Progress Award consists of Ciné+ guarantee to purchase the winning film to its French distributor and to broadcast it on its network.
- The European Distributors and Operators Award consists of the promotion of the film within Europa Distribution's network composed of 116 members. The CICAE will promote the film on its social networks and in a newsletter ; it will inform its 2,000 members of the film and will encourage the diffusion of the film by allowing them to watch it on its Cinando video library.
- The WIP Paradiso Award, consists of a $10,000 grant, given by the Brazilian philanthropic initiative Projeto Paradiso, for the completion of the post-production and internationalization of one fiction film with majority Brazilian production selected in Films in Progress Toulouse.
- The Film Français Award consists of the presentation of the winning film with an article or an interview in one of the editions of Le film français magazine or the Cannes Market News.
The films can register under the following conditions:
- The feature films have to be a Latin American production, majoritary or minoritary
- The films have to be in the post-production stage (at least first cut)
- The final version of the films has to have a duration equal to or longer than 60 minutes
- The cut presented for selection has to last at least 45 minutes
- The cut presented for selection has to be subtitled in English or Spanish if not spoken in Spanish
- The registration is free of charge
- The registration deadline is January 20, 2023
Dans le cas où le film est sélectionné :
In the event that the film is selected:
- The director and the producer must be present in Toulouse from the 29th of March to the 1st of April 2023 (as far as allowed by sanitary conditions)
- The film has to be subtitled in English
- The projection format will be Blu-Ray (make sure you bring three copies) in the case of an on-site version
Results will be communicated by early March 2023.
Cinéma en Construction Toulouse
77 rue du Taur
31 000 Toulouse (France)
+33 561 32 98 83
WE are grateful to THE PARTNERS OF films in progress
Centre National du Cinéma et de l’image animée (CNC) - Région Occitanie - Conseil Départemental de la Haute-Garonne - Mairie de Toulouse - Activités Sociales de l’énergie - CINÉ + - La Cinéfondation - Confédération Internationale des Cinémas d’Art et Essai (CICAE) - Eaux Vives Productions - Europa Distribution - Le Film Français - French Kiss Studio (APIFA Occitanie) - LatAm Cinema - Pathé Wilson - Studio A Fabrica - Producers Network (Marché du Film – Festival de Cannes) - Projeto Paradiso - Titrafilm